Dear Humans,
Hope you guys had a great Christmas! And to all of you who have taken the time to think about the aminals in the midst of it all -- thank you! There IS still humanity left in the world.
Just wanted to take some time to talk about aminal activists. I wouldn't term myself an activist just yet, because I don't think I've done anything quite so radical that I'd put myself on a pedestal and term myself such. I'm getting there, but not quite there yet.
That said, as I was giving out my little tokens asking people to spare a thought for the aminals in the world during this time of joyful giving, I realized that perceptions of me have changed. Those who have received these tokens from me are people I come across on a daily basis en route to my workplace.
Activists are seen as people of a completely different class. A different class of human beings. Of course, in my eyes, they're as high up the ranks as they get. Unfortunately for most people, activists are seen as a much lower than the average person.
As such, I do get looks from the people I normally come across. Not the sort of look I was hoping to get. They're now looking at me as if I want something from them. Like a salesman who won't budge because my Christmas bonus relies on them giving me something.
Don't you people get it? I don't want ANYTHING from you. And here's why: I Do Not Believe In Charity.
I never have and I never will. Not for my cause. My cause is NOT a charity.
Let's make it completely clear once and for all. Anything I do for this cause will come out of my own pocket. I do not make money from this (how can i??). Which leads to the question of how I will get funding for anything I do.
Simple. I maintain a full-time job.
Why don't I take a full-time job in an organization and a foundation that cares for the aminals and fights for the same things I fight for? Because working there would mean that money I earn would be from donations. If the point of donations is to ensure that the aminals are put out of suffering, why use that money then to pay people?
So. I earn my money from the outside world. Well, outside from anything aminal related at least. From that money, I set aside a certain amount and turn it in for my cause. That way, nobody can judge me when I decide to buy a new pair of shoes or buy drinks at a local bar. I report and answer to nobody.
All this sounds very cocky, I know - and indeed it is. It has to be. I have to be.
What's that you say? I need some balance in my life? Yes. I couldn't agree more. Which is precisely why I don't work permanently as an aminal advocate. Having some breathing space keeps me sane. I think that doing it full-time will make anyone go insane, even those people with the purest of intentions. It's easy to get caught up in all of this, as many of my friends would attest to. They've had to pull me back and hold me down because immersing myself in this will make me go, well, insane.
Let's see how long I can keep this up. Wait... what was this post meant to be about again....?
Love,
The Aminals
Hope you guys had a great Christmas! And to all of you who have taken the time to think about the aminals in the midst of it all -- thank you! There IS still humanity left in the world.
Just wanted to take some time to talk about aminal activists. I wouldn't term myself an activist just yet, because I don't think I've done anything quite so radical that I'd put myself on a pedestal and term myself such. I'm getting there, but not quite there yet.
That said, as I was giving out my little tokens asking people to spare a thought for the aminals in the world during this time of joyful giving, I realized that perceptions of me have changed. Those who have received these tokens from me are people I come across on a daily basis en route to my workplace.
Activists are seen as people of a completely different class. A different class of human beings. Of course, in my eyes, they're as high up the ranks as they get. Unfortunately for most people, activists are seen as a much lower than the average person.
As such, I do get looks from the people I normally come across. Not the sort of look I was hoping to get. They're now looking at me as if I want something from them. Like a salesman who won't budge because my Christmas bonus relies on them giving me something.
Don't you people get it? I don't want ANYTHING from you. And here's why: I Do Not Believe In Charity.
I never have and I never will. Not for my cause. My cause is NOT a charity.
Let's make it completely clear once and for all. Anything I do for this cause will come out of my own pocket. I do not make money from this (how can i??). Which leads to the question of how I will get funding for anything I do.
Simple. I maintain a full-time job.
Why don't I take a full-time job in an organization and a foundation that cares for the aminals and fights for the same things I fight for? Because working there would mean that money I earn would be from donations. If the point of donations is to ensure that the aminals are put out of suffering, why use that money then to pay people?
So. I earn my money from the outside world. Well, outside from anything aminal related at least. From that money, I set aside a certain amount and turn it in for my cause. That way, nobody can judge me when I decide to buy a new pair of shoes or buy drinks at a local bar. I report and answer to nobody.
All this sounds very cocky, I know - and indeed it is. It has to be. I have to be.
What's that you say? I need some balance in my life? Yes. I couldn't agree more. Which is precisely why I don't work permanently as an aminal advocate. Having some breathing space keeps me sane. I think that doing it full-time will make anyone go insane, even those people with the purest of intentions. It's easy to get caught up in all of this, as many of my friends would attest to. They've had to pull me back and hold me down because immersing myself in this will make me go, well, insane.
Let's see how long I can keep this up. Wait... what was this post meant to be about again....?
Love,
The Aminals
No comments:
Post a Comment