Thursday, December 13, 2012

Before entering the whirlwind

Dear Humans,

3 December 2012. I came across news that a dolphin had died in Singapore. I started researching the topic. I found it amazing that I'd never paid any serious attention to it. To think that I call myself an animal-lover. I am a walking hypocrisy.

9 December 2012. I stopped procrastinating. I watched 'The Cove'. I'd heard about it from years before and was told that I needed to watch it. Not that it was something that I would want to watch, but something I needed to watch. Though I  work in the media industry and love everything about television, I just didn't want to watch it. I don't quite know why. I hate knowing. Though embarrassing, I will admit - I'm as ignorant as ignorant gets. I hate knowing anything. Because I know I can't do anything about it. So you say that Singaporeans are kiasu. What do you want me to do about it? So you say that the ozone layer is thinning. What do you want me to do about it? So you say dolphins are being slaughtered. What do you want me to do about it?

I'm the type of person who would rather not know. I'd rather not know the process of obtaining the meat package I get off the shelf at a supermarket. Come on, life in itself isn't the simplest to deal with. Having to think of anything other than my own life was, to say the very least, secondary to me. Needless to say then, odds are in my favour when I say that I am just like you.

Since I started out much the way you are now, yes you, I shall be your voice now. Here are he reasons why you don't do anything about the plight of the animals:
  • Life is hectic enough as it is. No time to think about animals. 
  • Not knowing gives you the right to not to react. So you remain ignorant.
  • Want to only see videos of cute, cuddly animals.
  • There are human beings in need of help.
  • Don't talk about other humans needing help, I myself need help! Not like anyone is giving me any aid I need.
  • There is a problem, but there are enough people out there fighting for and campaigning for what is right.
  • Big corporations and foundations are already losing the fight against this. How would little ol' me make any sort of difference?
These self-concocted lies allow you to sleep better at night. Doesn't make the act of you not doing anything about it right.

Here, I hope to bring you on a journey. My journey. Today marks my 25th birthday. Today, I pledge to a cause. My cause for animals. I am just one person. As much as I would love to end the suffering of all animals around the world, I know I can't. But that is my aim. For that to be achieved. Someday. Somehow.

This is war. A war that has started from the time human beings started paving the road named 'Greed Street'. There is no historical documentation pin-pointing when it started. There is no generic name put to it with the word 'World' before it. Nor any numerics put after it. Why? Because this has been going on from before the time you and I can even imagine.

It is time for change. It is time for the educated to rise and finally prove that education is NOT offered nor received for selfish needs. That is is NOT for creating more educated people who still end up sticking to the status quo. That is is NOT for building an educated empire that only makes the standing one stronger.

Is it too late? Yes. But it doesn't mean that it's over.

Love,
The Aminals

No comments:

Post a Comment