Dear Humans,
Got back from Samosir yesterday. Take a quick glace at the map and you'll see that Lake Toba and Samosir were formed during the eruption of a supervolcano. Pretty cool stuff. That's where we figured would give us front row tickets to the end of the world. Well. Didn't quite happen. But still. Front row tickets!
Don't know if I speak for all of you, but I'm a real city girl. I don't get out of the country much because of my commitments at work and back home. City girl, yes. But I hate cities. Bustle gives me a headache. Explains why getaways to quaint and secluded places tickle my fancy.
The journey to Samosir was quite amazing. Besides the fact that we almost died 50 times on our way there by road, Lake Toba by itself was surreal to me. I love large bodies of water. And that was a vision of endless freshwater.
What struck me the most about the lake itself was that it looks a lot like The Cove. You know, the one in Taiji, Japan? Yes. The one in which dolphins are carefully maneuvered to, trapped and then slaughtered by the thousands every single year. That's right. Dolphins.
If you haven't watched The Cove, I recommend that you only watch it if you are ready to do something about it. There is nothing that angers me more than people who have the knowledge of cruelty, yet do nothing about it and carry on with their daily lives. So only watch it if you are in the right frame of mind to be able to do something about it.
Such a beautiful place, Lake Toba. Just as beautiful as the cove in Taiji. Yet when I looked at every crevice which was bigger than the rest, I couldn't help but feel a wave of sadness. It looks just like the cove in Japan. Something that I'd seen on a television screen a few weeks ago was now right in front of me. Its beauty is astounding. But the emotion I link to its amazingness is far from beautiful.
The things that humans have done to tarnish the beauty in this world. Look at this.
Looks like nothing bad could ever happen in a place of such serenity, right? Well. It's just as beautiful in Japan. That is, when the waters of The Cove don't turn red with the cruel slaughter of dolphins.
My quest to put an end to cruelty really only started when the dolphin issue started in Singapore. That's right. When wild-caught dolphins were allowed to be transported to Singapore for recreational purposes.
You're probably thinking -- how does the issue in Singapore have anything to do with the dolphin slaughter in Taiji? You'll find out if you watch The Cove.
If not, that's another story for another post.
Till then.
Love,
The Aminals
Got back from Samosir yesterday. Take a quick glace at the map and you'll see that Lake Toba and Samosir were formed during the eruption of a supervolcano. Pretty cool stuff. That's where we figured would give us front row tickets to the end of the world. Well. Didn't quite happen. But still. Front row tickets!
Don't know if I speak for all of you, but I'm a real city girl. I don't get out of the country much because of my commitments at work and back home. City girl, yes. But I hate cities. Bustle gives me a headache. Explains why getaways to quaint and secluded places tickle my fancy.
The journey to Samosir was quite amazing. Besides the fact that we almost died 50 times on our way there by road, Lake Toba by itself was surreal to me. I love large bodies of water. And that was a vision of endless freshwater.
What struck me the most about the lake itself was that it looks a lot like The Cove. You know, the one in Taiji, Japan? Yes. The one in which dolphins are carefully maneuvered to, trapped and then slaughtered by the thousands every single year. That's right. Dolphins.
If you haven't watched The Cove, I recommend that you only watch it if you are ready to do something about it. There is nothing that angers me more than people who have the knowledge of cruelty, yet do nothing about it and carry on with their daily lives. So only watch it if you are in the right frame of mind to be able to do something about it.
Such a beautiful place, Lake Toba. Just as beautiful as the cove in Taiji. Yet when I looked at every crevice which was bigger than the rest, I couldn't help but feel a wave of sadness. It looks just like the cove in Japan. Something that I'd seen on a television screen a few weeks ago was now right in front of me. Its beauty is astounding. But the emotion I link to its amazingness is far from beautiful.
The things that humans have done to tarnish the beauty in this world. Look at this.
Looks like nothing bad could ever happen in a place of such serenity, right? Well. It's just as beautiful in Japan. That is, when the waters of The Cove don't turn red with the cruel slaughter of dolphins.
My quest to put an end to cruelty really only started when the dolphin issue started in Singapore. That's right. When wild-caught dolphins were allowed to be transported to Singapore for recreational purposes.
You're probably thinking -- how does the issue in Singapore have anything to do with the dolphin slaughter in Taiji? You'll find out if you watch The Cove.
If not, that's another story for another post.
Till then.
Love,
The Aminals

No comments:
Post a Comment